spoon

Classic Roasted Salsa

Category: , , ,



Time for yet another Everyday Food recipe!  This one comes from the June 2011 issue, and I knew that as soon as I could get my hands on some garden tomatoes that I had to make this roasted salsa.  I just love summer and all the fresh produce!  The pictures that accompanied the recipe in the magazine just looked too good to pass up.  We tried it a little over a week ago and were not disappointed.  It's some of the best salsa I've ever made.  I like its flavor after it's been sitting around a few days better than I like PW's Restaurant Style Salsa after a few days in the fridge.  It's a good blend of tomato, onion, and garlic.  The jalapeños are there, but subtle.  If you like things spicy, I'd add some more than the recipe calls for. The flavors blend best after at least a few hours in the fridge. 



I suppose that it being summer and all, that you could roast everything except the garlic on a grill grate, but I chose to use my broiler, as the recipe directed me to do.  My one change was to not add cilantro, since I'm not a huge cilantro fan.  Other than the cilantro, I made the recipe as is.  I just didn't measure the lime juice- I estimated.  If you can get to a farmer's market (or if you have tomato plants that are already producing), make this salsa ASAP!  It's such a great snack item or accompaniment to your lunch!

Classic Roasted Salsa
from Everyday Food

2 large tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs total)
1 medium white onion, halved
3 jalapeños
3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
3 Tb fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
Coarse Salt
Ground Black Pepper
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)

Heat your broiler and place an oven rack in the top position.  Place all the vegetables on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer.  Broil until the vegetables are blistered and slightly softened, rotating the sheet and flipping the vegetables frequently, 6-8 minutes.  The garlic may need to be removed earlier if it is browing too quickly.  

Discard the garlic skins.  In a food processor, pulse the vegetables and garlic until coarsely puréed.  Add lime juice and season with coarse salt and pepper to taste.  Pulse to combine.

Transfer salsa to a bowl and stir in 1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro.  Refrigerate up to three days or freeze up to three months.  Makes approx. 3 cups-1 quart salsa. 

Comments (0)

Post a Comment