spoon

Creamy Salsa Soup

Category:



I've had my eye on this recipe since I saw it in the Sept 2011 issue of Everyday Food.  So easy, and so quick.  Affordable, and novel while not remaining too much a departure from the norm.  Think spicy tomato soup, and you basically have salsa soup.  We crushed up tortilla chips to go into the soup and served it with quesadillas- you can see an example of our finery in the picture.  I really know how to stage food, don't I? 



Anyway, this recipe utilizes 1- 16 oz jar of salsa and less than 2 cups chicken broth, as well as some sort of milky liquid- skim milk to heavy cream, your choice.  I also had it ready in less than 15 minutes.  You will need your stovetop and a blender (immersion or countertop).  Here's the recipe:

Creamy Salsa Soup
from Everyday Food, September 2011
*serves 2-3

1- 16 oz jar of salsa- your choice
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2 Tb heavy cream, half and half, etc.

In a small pot on the stovetop, heat the broth and the salsa over medium high until boiling.  Remove from heat and either use your immersion blender to make the soup smooth or pour the cream and broth/salsa mixture into a countertop blender.  Blend until smooth.  Serve with your favorite garnishes- crushed tortilla chips, avocado, sour cream, etc.

Notes
  • A note on the milky liquid- I used half and half.  As I said, you can use any milk product, but the creamier the more the mellowing effect it has on the soup.  I use half and half in coffee so that was easy.
  • I have a blender I hate.  It will hold about 1 quart of liquid or a little more.  It is not a good idea to blend all of the soup (measuring at just under 1 qt) in a blender that close to capacity unless your blender has a good lid.  Blend in batches if you have to!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment