spoon

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Category: , , , ,



Do you want to hear a rambling story?  If not, I won't be offended if you scroll on to the bottom of the post, where the recipe lies, but this story does connect.  So, this weekend Drew and I were having two separate dinners, one with my family and one with his.  I was to make the desserts for each.  Since my family is larger, I opted to bring two desserts, one chocolate and one fruity.  I thought my fudge pie recipe would produce enough batter for two pies, but I was gravely mistaken.  There I was on Saturday morning with only two desserts and neither for the dinner with the Givens family that night.  I was determined not to go back to the store, so I looked through my files to see what recipe I could create with ingredients I had on hand.  While I narrowed it down to a few contenders, this recipe was the winner, and boy was it ever a winner. 



Like a thick, barely baked cookie, this recipe satisfies all your sweet teeth.  It comes together fairly quickly and is pretty easy.  I recommend using a stand mixer to mix the batter/dough, but if all you have is a hand mixer, try it out.  You could just about term this a pie and not be wrong- no crust but closer to the consistency of a pie than a cake.  Whatever.  A rose by any other name, right?




Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
from That's So Yummy

1 cup All-purpose Flour
1-½ teaspoon Baking Powder
¼ teaspoons Kosher Salt
½ cups Butter, Unsalted
1 cup Light Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 whole Large Egg
1-¼ cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.

Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, cream the butter, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract on medium speed until well combined, about 1 minute.  Increase the mixer speed to high and beat for 15 seconds.  Stop the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the egg.  Blend on medium speed for 30 seconds.  Add the dry ingredients and combine on low speed until just a few dry streaks remain.  Add the chocolate chips and mix for a few seconds until combined.

Scrape the batter into a greased and lined 9-inch round cake pan.  Press the batter into a smooth and even layer in the pan. Bake until lightly golden and puffy around the edges (the center should still feel quite soft), 18 – 22 minutes.

Cool for 10 minutes and then run a paring knife around the edge of the pan to release the cake.

Cool for at least 4 hours before turning the cake out of the pan and onto a large plate.
Slice then serve.  Note: If you’re real naughty, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and hot fudge!

Notes
  • I made the recipe as is, but my cookie cake was not baked at the end of the baking time.  I probably baked it an extra 10 minutes.  You want gooey but not runny. 
  • I transported this cake in the pan in which I baked it.  If you want to display it you'll either want to make sure it's well baked or even use a springform/cheesecake pan. 

Comments (0)

Post a Comment