spoon

Perfect Quiche

Category: ,


Do you have a food that you love?  Quiche is one for me.  Think about it- this is an anytime food, and it can be eaten hot or cold.  I love that!  I don't remember eating quiche before college.  I am sure I did at some point, but it was one of those foods we didn't make growing up, and so I don't remember it.  Anyway, my first memory of quiche is from Ham's restaurant.  If I remember correctly, it was spinach.  It wasn't bad, but not something that was the pinnacle of quiches everywhere. 

A good quiche is hard to find.  If overbaked, it's a dry mess of eggs, cheese, and filling.  It's rubbery and reminiscent of a bad egg biscuit from a fast food restaurant.  Fortunately, this recipe at least is very easy, and delicious.  Its ingredients can be changed out to use what you have on hand- don't you just love a recipe like that?  I have used fresh swiss chard in place of spinach.  Other times I have added mushrooms and roasted red pepper, bell pepper, and I can't remember what else. 

This recipe is one I tried from allrecipes.com, and I have made it many times over the past year or so.  It's sort of my going steady quiche recipe.  What differentiates it is the use of mayonnaise instead of heavy creams.  What I like about that is that I can substitute plain greek yogurt for some or all of the mayo, thus making it even healthier, for those times you want to ignore the fact you're trying to make healthier a dish that is baked in a pastry crust and has 2 cups of cheese in it....oh well, at least it makes me feel better. 











I will make one on a weekend morning and reheat the leftovers on other days in the oven for 10-20 minutes on about 325-350.  In that way I can make breakfast while I'm in the shower. 

Try this quiche recipe the next time you want a great, filling breakfast.  It'd also be perfect for lunch or dinner with a salad. 

Light and Fluffy Spinach Quiche
taken from allrecipes.com, by KRISTINJONI

1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/2 cup milk
4 eggs, lightly beaten
8 ounces shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a cookie sheet with foil.

2.In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and milk until smooth. Whisk in eggs. Layer spinach, cheese, and onion in pie shell, making several layers of each. Pour in egg mixture. Place quiche on prepared cookie sheet. Cover quiche with foil.

3.Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove cover, and bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until top is golden brown and filling is set.
 
Cook's Notes
  • As I have said previously in the post, I have at times added mushroom, roasted red peppers, and bell peppers, and all worked great.
  • I often substitute half the mayo with plain yogurt.
  • I use full fat cheese.  I also usually use seriously sharp cheddar, as it's the husband's favorite.  I don't recommend mozzarella in this one.
  • It is VERY important to cover the quiche with foil- much like lasagna, it will dry out if you don't!
  • Watch the oven- I know that mine usually runs hot, so I bake it covered only about 35-40 min most of the time. 
  • I have substituted fresh rainbow/swiss chard for the spinach in this recipe.  If you do that, make sure you cut the chard into very thin, short ribbons.  I think I used maybe 2 big leaves, so a little goes a long way.

Comment (1)

This looks fantastic- swiss chard is a great addition! Nothing wrong with adding two cups of cheese :) Yum!
~Jacquelyn

Post a Comment