spoon

Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Chocolate Chipsters

Category: , ,


First off, I'd like to say congrats to all those Packers fans out there, and my consolations to all Steelers fans.  I had intentions of posting Superbowl recipes for you, but guess who forgot to take pictures?  Instead of posting about the wings I made, I'll give you the link.  Try these chicken wings from the October 2010 issue of Everyday Food.  They're real winners, no matter what team is playing.



Now, onto what I have made in recent history that I did take pictures of: peanut butter and oatmeal chocolate chipsters from Dorie Greenspan.  This recipe comes from Baking: From My Home To Yours and is a great cookie recipe that combines three of my favorites into one.  It's a pretty straightforward cookie recipe in that you beat the fats (butter and peanut butter) together with the sugars and then add in the eggs, the dry ingredients, and the chocolate chips. 



I made one or two dozen the first day I made this dough and portioned out the rest and froze it for later convenient use.  The dough definitely benefits from sitting around a while (flavors melding, less flattening in the oven) but does fine if you use it right away, too.  Try these when you need a sweet treat!

Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Chocolate Chipsters
from Baking: From My Home To Yours by Dorie Greenspan

3 cups old fashioned oats

1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chunks, or 1 1/2 cups store-bought chocolate chips or chunks (I used chocolate chips)

Getting Ready: Position the racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats. (I only baked one batch at a time on the center rack. In fact I baked one dozen and then froze the dough and did not reuse it for another week. I then let the dough thaw and baked the rest one batch at a time)

Whisk together the oats, flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter, peanut butter, sugar and brown sugar on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition, then beat in the vanilla.

Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the dry ingredients, beating only until blended. Mix in the chips.

If you have the time, cover and chill the dough for about 2 hours or for up to one day. (Chilling the dough will give you more evenly shaped cookies.) If the dough is not chilled, drop rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto the baking sheets. If the dough is chilled, scoop up rounded tablespoons, roll the balls between your palms and place them 2 inches apart on the sheets. Press the chilled balls gently with the heel of your hand until they are about 1/2 inch thick.

Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, rotating the sheets from top to bottom and front to back after 7 minutes. The cookies should be golden and just firm around the edges. Lift the cookies onto cooling racks with a wide metal spatula - they'll firm as they cool.

Notes
  • On peanut butters- the new natural peanut butters that look just like regular peanut butter will work fine here (I think I used Great Value Natural Creamy) but don't use the kind that you grind yourself or the natural, need to stir kind.  You just won't get the same result. 
  • I did use the spices called for, but I think in the future I wouldn't.  That may just be my preference but I didn't like the nutmeg and cinnamon combined with the peanut butter and chocolate chip.  Let me know if you try this out without them.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment