spoon

Chicken with Artichokes, Feta, and Red Pepper

Category:


This is one of my favorite colder weather meals.  I haven't shared it with you yet because I actually hadn't made it all fall/winter.  I've had this recipe a couple of years now, and I have made it several times during previous years.  It's filling and yet light, and very flavorful and fresh.  The chicken, while cooked for quite some time, remains tender and juicy.  I like to serve this with some crusty bread and a salad.



This recipe came to me from the Martha Stewart website, and I'll link to its page on the title.  I will post it as I make it, which involves a slight change in the braising liquid.  This dish will take anywhere between 40 minutes and 1 hour to prepare, depending on how long you take to prep the ingredients.  I've gotten to the point where I eyeball most ingredients rather than measuring, which makes for a slightly different taste each time.  Each time I have loved it.  It's a great meal that tastes like a lot more effort was put forth than it really requires.

Chicken With Artichoke Hearts
from Marthastewart.com

1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size chunks
2 Tb. olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
1-2 cups chicken broth
1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, cut into 1/2-inch strips
1 package (10 ounces) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and halved
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled

Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper; add to skillet, and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.

Reduce heat to medium; add garlic, oregano, and crushed red pepper to skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add vinegar; cook, scraping up browned bits from bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon, until liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.

Add 2 cups liquid (broth and water or just broth) to skillet, and simmer over medium heat 10 minutes. Add bell pepper and artichoke hearts; simmer until chicken is tender and liquid has thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in feta cheese, season with salt and pepper as desired, and serve.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment