spoon

Fried Rice

Category: ,


Remember the baked rice recipe from a couple weeks ago (the last post)?  As an aside, my apologies for not having any new posts the last couple weeks.  I had been sick and not so able to write or be in the functioning world, but I'm glad to be back! 

I've had this recipe in the queue since then and am glad to share it.  So anyway, back to the baked rice.  I baked all this rice, and since I don't like rice on its own, I decided to make a fried rice.  I had seen a few recipes pop up in recent issues of Cooking Light, maybe Taste of Home, and Everyday Food, and I thought, "what a brilliant idea!"  When going to an Asian restaurant, isn't the fried rice among the things you most look forward to eating?  It's unfortunately not that good for you, but when you make it at home, the nutritional balance shifts a bit in the better direction. 



I'll post the "recipe" the way I made it, and I put recipe in quotes because it seems like more of a method or idea than a recipe- it's so easy!  I have linked the inspiration recipes above so that you can see the guidelines I followed. 

Turkey Fried Rice
1 lb ground turkey or chicken
1 recipe baked rice (see here), or 2-3 cups leftover cooked rice
2 Tb vegetable oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 carrots, shredded
1/2 cup diced onion
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup corn
2 Tb. soy sauce
2 Tb. rice vinegar

Heat a wok or large skillet (nonstick preferred) to medium high and add 1 Tb vegetable oil to pan.  Add about 1/4 tsp. soy sauce to eggs and add to the pan.  Scramble until just set and remove to a bowl or plate. 

Add the other 1 Tb oil to the pan and add the carrots and onion and cook until onion is translucent, a couple of minutes.  Add the peas and rice and cook until warmed through, about 2-3 minutes.  Add the egg and the rest of the soy sauce and vinegar and cook until everything is coated with the soy and vinegar, about 1 minute.  Serve with any of your favorite Asian sauces (I prefer Sriracha).   

Comments (0)

Post a Comment