spoon

Summer Squash Sauté

Category:



Garden harvest time is in full swing in the Carolinas, and I couldn't be happier!  While Drew and I are still eagerly anticipating our first big garden harvest (other than cucumbers), we are blessed to have generous family members who are already pulling things out of their gardens.  I never really appreciated the garden harvests as a kid; while I enjoyed most of the food, I took it for granted.  Now that I'm older I understand what people mean when they say that there's nothing like a home grown vegetable.  It's funny how you grow to appreciate something as simple as eating food pulled from your own back yard. 

Yellow crook neck squash is ubiquitous in this area during the summer, but I have to confess that, despite being a Southern girl through and through, I am no good at frying squash (the best way, in my humble opionion, to prepare and eat squash).  I plan to work on it at least once this year, but I can't work at it too much or I'll be as round as a summer squash.  So, what to do with all that squash if you're not going to fry it?  I looked around online to find out what others are doing, and came across squash pickles, squash bread, and one of my favorites, the squash casserole. 



I wanted something new but something that highlighted the squash in its peak, something that didn't load it down with butter or sugar.  Then I found a recipe for the squash sauté in an old issue of Kraft Food and Family.  I gave it a go yesterday.  While I think the recipe could benefit from more tweaking (adding salt or other spices, possibly), it's pretty good on its own and showcases the squash itself, which is just what I wanted.  The basil is a surprising and delightful foil for the vegetables.  This recipe is quick and simple and makes use of some of that squash and zucchini that is in its peak right now.  I humbly submit to you the

Farmer's Market Squash Sauté
from Kraft Foods

2 zucchini, sliced
2 yellow squash, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup Shredded Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese
 
COOK vegetables in hot oil in large skillet on medium heat 3 min., stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic; cook 3 min. or until vegetables are crisp-tender. REMOVE from heat; stir in mozzarella and basil.
SPRINKLE with Parmesan.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment