spoon

Dorie Greenspan's Carrot Spice Muffins

Category: , ,


Dorie Greenspan is a sort of rock star of the baking world, and trying her recipes will tell you why.  Her language is accessible, and her recipes almost always come out delicious.  I was super lucky one day to come across Baking: From My Home To Yours in a Ross department store for $10 a couple years ago, and I've been slowly baking my way through it since. 



I've had my eye on these muffins from the beginning, and am glad to finally give you the report.  They're so good, especially if you like carrot cake!  I've had my mom's muffins, and, sorry Dorie, I prefer my mom's, but isn't a mother's baking going to instill fierce loyalty into the hearts of her children?  Anyway, these muffins are well spiced and light in texture for a muffin.  They're sweet enough, but just sweet enough to let you know it's a breakfast treat but not a dessert.  I enjoyed them, and the recipe made maybe 17-18 muffins with me filling the tins about half to two thirds full. 



With fall just around the corner, these muffins will warm up your mornings.  Make them soon!  They also freeze well.  I should know, since I've had about half a dozen in my freezer since I've made them and have taken one out here and there.



Carrot Spice Muffins
from Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
2/3 cup flavorless oil, such as canola, sunflower, or corn
2 large eggs
3/4 cup whole milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/3 cup moist, plump currants or raisins
1/3 cup pecans or walnuts, toasted, cooled and chopped

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Butter or spray a muffin pan with 12 regular sized molds (or use paper liners, or silicone pans). Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the brown sugar, making sure you stir out all of the lumps. In another bowl, whisk the oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla extract, until it is well combined. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients, and gently but quickly stir to blend. Be careful not to overmix, a few lumps are fine. Stir in the carrots, currants, and nuts. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.

Bake for 20 minutes until a thin knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes, before carefully removing the muffins.


Comments (0)

Post a Comment