spoon

Roasted Broccoli

Category:



I came across this recipe while taking a Pinterest break at work.  It originally comes Ina Garten's book Back to Basics via the Amateur Gourmet blog.  Being that the Amateur Gourmet titled this "the best broccoli of your life," I thought this recipe was worth a pin and try.



Eh.  It's not the best broccoli of my life.  My eyes did not roll back in my head and I didn't swoon, BUT it is an inventive and tasty way to prepare and consume broccoli, so I feel good sharing this with you.  To its credit, the broccoli remained firm (translate: not mushy) and the taste was reminiscent to me of kale chips.



The preparation is simple, and the dish would make a great side to any meat, and I just thought about how it might be fun tossed with pasta and served as a main dish, being that there are also lemon, pine nuts, olive oil, and garlic involved. 

Roasted Broccoli with Lemon and Pine Nuts
from amateur gourmet

4-5 lb broccoli, cut into florets
7 Tb Olive Oil, divided
1 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
zest and juice of a lemon
3 Tb. toasted pine nuts
1/3 c freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tb. shredded basil

Preheat oven to 425.   Put the broccoli on a cookie sheet. Toss with 4-5 Tb olive oil, salt and pepper.  Add garlic cloves.  Roast in the oven 20 to 25 minutes, until “crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.”  When it’s done, take it out of the oven.  Zest a lemon over the broccoli, squeeze the lemon juice over the broccoli, add 1.5 Tbs more olive oil, 3 Tbs toasted pine nuts, and 1/3 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Finish with the 2 Tb. shredded basil. 


Notes
  • I bought some broccoli from Aldi, and therefore have no idea my starting weight.  I eyeballed everything accordingly. 

Comments (0)

Post a Comment