spoon

Forsyth Park Inn Granola

Category: , , , ,



For Christmas, Drew surprised me with a trip to Savannah, GA and a stay at the Forsyth Park Inn.  We took this trip a few weeks ago and had a wonderful time!   The Forsyth Park Inn is a bed and breakfast, and their owner made some wonderful breakfast treats each morning.  Among them was this granola- soft, lightly sweetened, and a variety of textures and flavors.  I've already made two batches and we're devouring the granola like it's the only thing in the house.  I think I like it better than my previous stand-by recipe, which contains more sweetener and less salt.  I have actually tweaked the recipe a bit, and am posting my version below.

The Lovely Forsyth Park Inn


Forsyth Park Inn Granola
the adapted version

2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup flaked coconut
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Place oven rack in center position and preheat oven to 375.  Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.  If using foil, lightly oil.

Toss together oats, nuts, coconut, and salt in a large bowl.  Whisk together oil and honey and stir into oat mixture until well coated.  Spread mixture in pan and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 25-30 minutes.  Stir in cranberries and cool completely on a wire rack.

Makes approx 5 cups.

Notes

  • The original recipe was doubled and made 10 cups.  There is no way I could store all that at one time, so I halved the recipe.  
  • The original recipe called for 2.5 cups (1/2 lb) sliced almonds.  Halved, that'd be 1 1/4 cups.  I instead decreased it even further to be able to add walnuts, which I am pretty sure was included in the granola I ate.  
  • The original recipe also calls for 1 cup each raisins and cranberries.  I omitted the raisins altogether and just kept the halved amount of cranberries.  This would also be great with any other dried fruit.  

Comments (0)

Post a Comment