spoon

Coffee Break Muffins

Category: , ,



I actually made these muffins a month or so ago and am just now getting around to telling you about them.  I should have told you sooner because they're SO GOOD!  They're light and airy in texture, and have a good coffee flavor.  They come together quickly, and were able to be made from ingredients I already had on hand.  If we were friends and you made me these muffins, I'd know we were real friends.



These come from Dorie Greenspan's book, Baking: From My Home To Yours and is likely the best purchase I've ever made from a Ross discount store.  If baking is your thing, you would benefit greatly from having this book in your collection. 



My one tip is that you eat these the day they're made or wrap them individually in plastic wrap and freeze them in a gallon zip top bag, because they don't keep well.  I made no changes to the recipe because I am OCD about baking recipes, but I think I'd add chocolate chips next time.

Coffee Break Muffins
from Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home To Yours

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1 cup strong coffee, cooled
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Getting Ready: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter or spray the 12 molds in a regular-sized muffin tin or fit the molds with paper muffin cups. Alternatively, use a silicone muffin pan which needs neither greasing nor paper cups. Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, espresso powder, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  Stir in the brown sugar, making sure there are no lumps.

In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk the coffee, melted butter, egg and vanilla extract together until well combined.  Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with the whisk or a rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend. Don’t worry about being thorough – a few lumps are better than over mixing the batter.

Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.  Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a think knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment