spoon

Slow Cooker Turkey Meatloaf

Category: ,



A while back, Drew and I decided we should try to be champions of the slow cooker.  We're not quite there yet, but we're working on it.  This recipe for slow cooker turkey meatloaf will definitely be one we will make again.  Thanks to friends Charlotte and Amanda for giving me the recipe!

I'll be up front that at first I wasn't sure about this meatloaf.  I didn't love it at first bite.  I didn't really know what I thought, but as I ate on it a little more, I really started to like it.  It feels lighter and healthier than a lot of meat dishes.  I really enjoyed the vegetables flecked through the meatloaf.  One thing that I think is a real key in liking any healthy food makeover is not expecting it to taste like the regular version of itself.  Just be open to it tasting like its own thing.  Turkey will never be beef, spaghetti squash will never be spaghetti.  Amen.



One more quick note- turkey is easily overmixed, so when mixing it, use a light hand (don't squish the turkey down and together) and only mix until everything looks pretty well incorporated.

Slow Cooker Turkey Meatloaf
source unknown

feeds 4

1 lb ground turkey
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup diced yellow onion (about 1/2 large onion)
1/2 cup diced bell pepper (about 1 pepper)
1 cup whole grain or whole wheat plain or panko bread crumbs
Kosher salt to taste
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/3 cup tomato or vegetable juice (no sugar added)
1/3 cup ketchup

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except ketchup and mix until just combined.  Lightly spray or coat the bottom and sides of a 6 quart slow cooker with oil.  Shape the meatloaf mixture into a loaf form and place in the slow cooker.  You may need to reshape as you place in the slow cooker.

Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours, adding the ketchup on top the last 30 minutes of cooking.

Notes

  • For easier removal, line the slow cooker with a long strip of foil and just lift the meatloaf out, foil and all.
  • Drew helped me out by watching the meatloaf.  I think it was done in about four hours' time in our cooker.  
  • This one fell apart a little for me.  I think I may have undermixed, but I'd rather do that than overmix. 

Comments (0)

Post a Comment