spoon

Salad Pizza

Category: ,


A couple weeks ago, my church had what we call house fellowships- get togethers in homes throughout the area.  The idea is to better acquaint ourselves with those people living close to you.  We were to bring to said house fellowship a drink and a finger food. 

At any sort of get together involving food, I always want to have the dish everyone loves.  Unsure of what to bring and not really wanting to bring something that required any silverware or even a plate in the case that none of that was provided, I tried to think about what I had eaten/made in the past that would be a hit.  After perusing the cookbooks and food magazines, I settled on something that I only found a variation of in one magazine: salad pizza.  I called my mom for the recipe I was most familiar with and began.  It was a success, with pretty much everyone at the fellowship telling me they enjoyed it.  Yay!

Salad pizza, also known as veggie pizza or cold veggie pizza, hit it big in the 80's and 90's wedding/baby shower scene and other get togethers where real meals aren't served.  It's a great warm weather dish because it's nice and cold.  It's also extremely easy to throw together, and it's economical.  Although it's not health food, it is nice that there are raw vegetables on it.  This is why I call it salad pizza- you basically throw salad toppings on a crust and sauce and call it done.  Make it for your next party!



Salad Pizza

2 cans crescent rolls
1- 8oz block cream cheese, softened
1 package ranch dressing mix (the dry stuff)
1 cup shredded cheese
At least 2 cups assorted fresh vegetables, diced

Open the two cans of crescent rolls, unroll, and flatten onto a 9"x13" or 11"x15" pan. Think of making a pizza crust.  Seal any seams, and make it as uniform as possible.  Bake according to package directions and until the "crust" is a light, golden color.  Take out of the oven and let cool.

While the crust is cooling, mix together the cream cheese and ranch dressing mix.  Spread all over top of cooled crust.

Top with your vegetable assortment and the cheese.  Refrigerate until ready to serve and refrigerate any leftovers.

Cook's Notes
  • I used an 11"x15" pan.  I don't have a 9''x13'' one.  The rolls still covered most of the surface of the pan.
  • I didn't measure my vegetables, but I am pretty sure I had more than two cups.  I used an assortment of finely shredded romaine lettuce, yellow bell pepper, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, and thawed corn and green peas from a freezer bag. 
  • I had seriously sharp white cheddar cheese that I grated with the finest holes on my grater.  It worked well with the pizza, but I'd be willing to bet that most cheeses would work.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment