spoon

Ground Beef Casserole

Category: ,

I have for you today a dish that is not very impressive in its presentation, and food snobs would likely scoff at the posting of this recipe altogether because it's old fashioned and not very culinary.  It's also tasty, and reminds me of home and family dinners.  Sounds a little hokey, but seriously, every time I make or eat this dish I am transported to the table where my family and I ate when I was a kid.  It's funny how certain foods can make you recall things like that.  So, while this recipe won't be featured in the next Bon Appetit magazine, you could easily make it for your next potluck dinner or family dinner. 











I made this for the same family reunion where I took the Snickers Pie.  Since I also happened to be preparing for a wedding cake (more on that later), that was all I took.  If you're looking for a side, go for a salad or maybe some green vegetable. 











For people with busy schedules, this dish is good because it comes
together rather quickly and involves few ingredients.  The results are, to me, so good!  I truly love this dish.  Part of my attachment may be sentimental, but it has a lot of flavors that work well together.  Think of it as a cheeseburger in casserole form, and you sort of get the idea. 

Ground Beef Casserole
from my mom's recipe collection

1 lb. ground beef
1- 10 oz can cream of mushroom soup
1 medium onion, chopped
1-14 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup (4 oz) cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 to 1 large bell pepper, cut into strips
4 oz egg noodles

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Brown beef and onion in a skillet and drain any fat.  Add tomatoes, salt, soup, and pepper.  Let simmer while you cook the egg noodles according to package directions.  Drain the noodles and add to the beef mixture.  Add 1/2 c. cheese.  Pour into a casserole dish or 9x13 pan and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.  Bake for 15 minutes. 



 So, if you try it let me know what you think by posting in the comments section.  Have a great day!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment