spoon

Honey Bran Muffins

Category:


I picked up the fall special issue of a Betty Crocker Baking magazine at the end of September or beginning of October solely because it had Bakerella's work on the front cover and a special Bakerella section.  I'm a sucker for her cute creations!  It's now no longer in the impulse buy section of your grocery store, but fortunately you can see a lot on bakerella.com and bettycrocker.com. 

Also in this same baking issue was a recipe for honey bran muffins.  I decided to make these one morning, sort of on a whim.  I wanted a muffin that would come together quickly and easily, and be healthy.  Ding, ding, ding we have a winner!  The honey and bran taste great together, and this recipe makes six muffins, which are a perfect amount for the two of us in my house. 



I would recommend eating all these the same day or freezing any you don't eat.  They're great the first day but not so awesome after that.  My one side note to that is I didn't try reheating or anything; that might revive them. 

There's not a lot else for me to say, so I'll just post the recipe and its link onto the Betty Crocker site and tell you to make these the next time you want a bran muffin.  I didn't embelish at all, but I would bet you could put in dried fruit for a little something extra. 

Honey Bran Muffins
from Betty Crocker

1/4 cup wheat bran

3 tablespoons boiling water
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg
1 1/2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
Granulated sugar, if desired
Heat oven to 400°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 6 regular-size muffin cups; spray baking cups with cooking spray.


In small bowl, mix wheat bran and boiling water. In medium bowl, beat milk, honey, oil and egg with spoon until well mixed. Stir in bran mixture, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt just until flour is moistened. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and tops spring back when touched lightly in center. Immediately remove from pan to cooling rack.


Update to recipe:
I tried using oat bran on 1/21/13 and they came out equally delicious!  The notes with the recipe talk about subbing either oat bran or wheat germ. 

Comments (0)

Post a Comment