spoon

White Chocolate Cake

Category:


White Chocolate cake served as half of the four tier wedding cake, comprising the base tier and second tier from the top. 

While this cake doesn't taste like biting into white chocolate, the cocoa butter from the white chocolate gives a rich moisture to the cake, which has a fairly open texture with the richness of pound cake.  One thing that I like about this cake is its high fat content that causes it to retain moisture.  It's not moist like a cake that has been doused with sugar water or milk.  It's a cake that doesn't easily dry out, and I like that.  I mean, really, who doesn't like that?  How many times have you been excited over a slice of cake that looks lush and delicious, only to be disappointed because the moisture comes only from the icing?  It's also a sturdy cake that can take most any icing you want to put on it. 

I first discovered the white chocolate cake when planning my own wedding and trying to find my perfect cake flavor.  I think I went with white and lemon in my cake, but I tried the white chocolate recipe out and have used it in a ton of cakes since. 



You start by melting white chocolate with water and then letting them cool. 






You cream butter and sugar together, add the dry ingredients and buttermilk, and then incorporate the white cholocate, and voila!  You have the batter that will lead to this delicious cake. 






I hope that if you bake it you will let me know in the comments section what you think!

White Chocolate Cake
from allrecipes.com, submitted by VanDerStad

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 (1 ounce) squares white chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup hot water
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the 2 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.


In small saucepan, melt 6 ounces white chocolate and hot water over low heat. Stir until smooth, and allow to cool to room temperature.

In a large bowl, cream 1 cup butter and 1 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition. Stir in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk. Mix in melted white chocolate and 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.

Pour batter into two 9 inch round cake pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
 
 
Notes
Just one today- I have never made this cake in the specified pan sizes; I have always used other pan sizes, like 6", 8", 10", and 12" round.  One thing I like about this recipe is that even if I overbake a bit it still tastes great and is moist!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment