spoon

Candied Acorn Squash

Category:


I had intended to post this recipe last week, immediately following the chicken dish because we ate them together.  My schedule had other plans, I suppose.  Without further delay, I present to you candied acorn squash.

This was the first time to my knowledge that I have tried acorn squash.  I bought one at a produce stand near my house a few weeks ago and had no real idea of what to do with it.  After scouring the internet and my cookbooks/magazines for recipes, I found that the most popular thing to do with the squash was to split it half, scoop out the goop, and roast it with butter and maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon.  I went with the recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  I can't remember why I chose it over all others.



I feel that the BH&G recipe was likely a good representation of this particular dish, but wonder if it's really the best way to prepare acorn squash. 

Roasting the squash with butter and maple syrup leaves it soft, and the syrup/butter mixture pools up in the pit of the squash where the goop once was, leaving you with the option of mashing the sweet liquid into the squash flesh or just allowing the pool to grow wider as you scoop out flesh and dip it into the liquid. 



Either way, it's an enjoyable side dish and a good introduction to acorn squash.  Did I mention it's very easy?  So, while I plan to try other preparations of acorn squash before coming back to this recipe, it's a good starter. 

Candied Acorn Squash
from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
feeds 2

1 acorn squash, halved lengthwise and the seed goop scooped out
1/4 c. maple syrup or 3 Tb. brown sugar
2 Tb butter, melted
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon or nutmeg

Arrange the squash halves, cut side down, in a 2 qt baking dish.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  Remove squash and turn cut side up.

In a small bowl, stir together the syrup or sugar, butter, and cinnamon.  Spoon into the centers of the squash halves and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until squash is tender. 

Comments (0)

Post a Comment