spoon

A Taste of Fall: Layered Pumpkin Loaf

Category:


I love foods with pumpkin in fall!  For lack of a better way of saying it, it's fitting.  I have seasonal food biases.  In summer, when it's nearing 100 degrees, I don't feel like soup.  I usually want salad or something grilled.  In winter, I am less likely to eat colder foods, but could eat soup every day.  In fall, I want fall vegetables, and pumpkin in all its incarnations is delightful.  I first made this particular pumpkin loaf recipe about 3-4 years ago, and I remember liking it but not loving it.  I made it again last week and tweaked it a bit.  This time was the same- it's pretty good, but not a recipe I'll be making over and over again, but I would make it again.



This particular recipe caught my attention because it reminded me of the pumpkin and cream cheese muffins from Starbucks.  You essentially make a pumpkin bread batter and place a cream cheese mixture in the middle of the loaf.  If you like cream cheese, try this one. 



I'll be posting the recipe as I made it.  You can find the original here on Kraft Foods' website.



Layered Pumpkin Loaf
adapted from Kraft Foods

1 cup canned pumpkin pie mix
2/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
4   egg whites, divided
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 cups flour
2-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Cream Cheese, softened
 
HEAT oven to 350ºF.

MIX pumpkin, 2/3 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, 3 egg whites, milk and oil in large bowl. Add flour, baking powder, and salt; stir just until moistened. Beat Neufchatel cheese, remaining granulated sugar and remaining egg white with whisk until well blended.

SPOON half of pumpkin batter into greased 9x5-inch nonstick loaf pan; cover with layers of Neufchatel mixture and remaining pumpkin batter.

BAKE 1 hour to 1 hour 5 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Loosen bread from sides of pan; cool in pan 10 min. Remove bread from pan to wire rack; cool completely.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment