spoon

White Chicken Chili

Category: ,


I felt sort of at a loss as to what to post here, because I made this Tuesday when it was chilly, but now it's all warm with no cold days in sight, and I don't know about you, but I find it hard to eat chili when it's not chili weather.  Sigh. 



I decided to share today, though, because it's so good and it's the best thing I've had this week.  I made a second attempt at grilled pizza, and while it wasn't bad, I don't necessarily deem it good enough to share with you on here yet.  It was truly nothing to write home about. 



This chili, though, is mild to medium spice, with an abundance of beans and tender chicken, and I really enjoyed it.  I used this recipe as a jumping off point to create my own chili, and I think I've got a pretty good thing going.  Nothing but positive feedback from my taste testers (this time Drew and Dawna)! 

It comes together in around 30 minutes, which is great in terms of prep time and for those who are super busy.  You can of course substitute dried cooked beans for the canned if you're interested in saving money over time.  This time I opted for saving time.  You can use precooked, shredded or cubed chicken if your interest is further time savings.

White Chicken Chili
by me, but inspired by a Better Homes and Gardens recipe

1 lb raw chicken, cut into bite sized cubes
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tb. oil (vegetable or olive)
3-15 oz cans great northern beans, two cans drained and rinsed
2 cups chicken broth or stock
1 cup (4 oz.) grated pepper jack cheese
1- 4 oz can diced green chilis
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin

In the bottom of a 4 or 5 qt dutch oven or pot, heat oil over medium to med-high heat.  Add the onion, garlic, and chicken and cook until chicken is cooked through and onions are translucent. 

Add in all other ingredients (in terms of the beans, two cans' worth of just beans and one can with the beans and their liquid) and stir to mix.  Bring to a boil, increasing the heat if needed.  Once at a boil, decrease heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.  Enjoy with tortilla chips and more cheese, if desired. 

Let me know what you think!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment