spoon

Our State Magazine's Chicken Salad

Category: , ,



I wasn't entirely sure what to call this post, because the chicken salad was featured in an issue of Our State magazine and was originally published in the Hopewell Heritage Cookbook.  I want to make sure that credit is given where credit is due.  Still, I don't suppose you need the proper name; just the recipe.



This chicken salad is delicious, and, aside from chopping some ingredients, comes together easily and quickly.  Here is one recipe where a mise-en-place is a huge help.  I think it's my favorite recipe so far.  I made it as is, and the one thing I may change is to not put as much celery in next time, but it's a great recipe, and it makes a ton, so it's great for parties, food gifts (provided you can keep it refrigerated), or just eating on all week.


Chicken Salad
from Our State Magazine (April 2012 issue) and Hopewell Heritage Cookbook

1 (4- to 5-pound) chicken
2 cups celery, chopped
¾ to 1 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
¼ cup pickle relish
2 tablespoons minced onion (optional)
1 apple, chopped
¼ cup toasted almonds or pecans
½ cup seedless grapes, halved
½ teaspoon celery seed
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper


Boil chicken; then bone and chop it. Combine chicken and celery. Combine remaining ingredients, stirring well. Add ingredients to chicken mixture, and toss well. Cover, and chill. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

Notes
  • Instead of a raw chicken, I used a rotisserie chicken.  They are PERFECT for this since they're already cooked.  Huge time saver!
  • I used a fuji apple because it's what I had on hand.  I'm sure almost any kind would do, but my favorites are gala and granny smith.
  • Didn't have celery seed- left it out and still good.  I did decrease the salt and used celery salt- that is an option
  • Forgot the lemon; had bottled lemon juice.  Not recommended, but it worked!
  • Didn't have and didn't want to buy pickle relish.  I just chopped up some pickles.  Worked!
  • Definitely start out with just 3/4 cup or maybe even less of mayo.  I started with 3/4 cup and didn't add any more.  

Comments (0)

Post a Comment