spoon

Maple Turkey Breakfast Sausage

Category: , ,



So the meatballs I shared last week?  They call for 1.5 pounds of ground turkey, but where I live ground turkey is packaged and sold in 1 lb. packages.  I had already defrosted the turkey for that recipe, so to re-freeze would guarantee a half pound of mushy turkey when I needed it again, and when you work with turkey, the odds are not ever in your favor when it comes to mushiness.

What to do?  Well, you could of course make more meatballs, portioning out the other ingredients accordingly.  You could make turkey burgers, or use the meat to make tacos or in a soup, but I liked the idea of making my own breakfast sausage ever since I saw an episode of 30 Minute Meals where Rachael Ray made her own sausage patties.  Good turkey sausage is hard to come by in the store, so why not?

I started searching and found this maple breakfast sausage recipe, and enjoyed it a lot.  It was easy to throw together, and there's something pretty wonderful about the combination of meat and maple syrup, plus the sugars in the syrup caramelize nicely to give the sausage a nice look.  I would definitely make this again, and want to try other recipes.

I tweaked the original recipe, since it calls for "grill seasoning," which is a combination of salt, pepper, onion flakes, and garlic (I think).  I didn't have that so I just sort of mixed up my own, not entirely sure of the ratios.  I also didn't finish the sausage off in the oven, though I'm sure it's a great idea.  You can click on the recipe title to be taken to the original recipe.

Maple Turkey Breakfast Sausage
adapted from Rachael Ray
makes 4 patties

1/2 pound ground turkey
1 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp. onion flakes/powder
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)

In a medium bowl, combine the ground turkey, maple syrup and spices. Work the meat to combine all the ingredients, then form patties 2-3 inches in diameter.

Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Brown the patties in the skillet for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.

Notes

  • Just like with hamburgers, you will want to indent the middle so that you don't get a domed effect as the patties cook
  • All burners and stoves are not created equal.  My pan works best when it's slightly shy of medium-high, but definitely past medium, so you may need to adjust your heat up or down accordingly.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment