spoon

Meatless Mondays: Chickpea Salad and Wrap

Category: , , ,


Without saying too much about myself, one thing you may notice about me (or most food bloggers in general) is that I (we) crave variety, in what we make, what we eat.  I especially like to add variety in my lunches.  I work over 20 minutes from home, so most meals are spent in my office.  While I eat my share of PB&J sandwiches or leftovers from a previous meal, variety is a big part of keeping me interested in bringing lunch.


I saw this idea for a chickpea salad sandwich and the recipe for chickpea salad on a blog that had been referenced on a Brit+Co post, and determined to make it this last week.  


The concept is a vegetarian/vegan version of a chicken salad or egg salad.  It's really good, light, and refreshing.  It also only takes minutes to make, which is perfect for my busy schedule.

Chopping celery is easy:  Start by slicing the stalks lengthwise in half, thirds or quarters (depending on the size of the stalk).  Then chop into smaller bits.  


So you make this chickpea salad, which can be enjoyed on a bed of greens, with pita chips or Pretzel Thins, and probably even stuffed into a celery stalk.  This particular blogger made it into a sandwich, and I decided to make mine into a wrap.  There are several possibilities which allow for just a little variety stretched out into several meals.

Chickpea Salad
adapted from the Simple Veganista

1 2/3 cups (1 can) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup carrots, shredded
1/4 cup onion, diced small
1/4 cup or so hummus
1 - 2 tablespoons mustard (stone ground or dijon)
Sea salt & cracked pepper, to taste
Dash of garlic powder
Juice of 1 lemon, optional

Drain and rinse your chickpeas, place in medium size bowl and roughly mash with a fork, potato masher or pastry blender. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Add more hummus if you like it creamier and taste for seasoning.

Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.

Chickpea Salad Wrap
1 tortilla shell, your choice of flavor and size (I used 12 inch sun dried tomato)
1/2 avocado, mashed
A couple big spoonfuls chickpea salad
Spinach leaves or other lettuce
Diced tomatoes

On a tortilla shell, layer the spinach or other greens, avocado, the chickpea salad, and the tomatoes.  Wrap like you would a burrito- fold up one or two opposite "ends" of the circle and then fold the other ends/flaps over it the folded parts/sides and the filling.


Comments (0)

Post a Comment