spoon

Meatless Mondays: Ricotta Pasta with Zucchini and Corn

Category: , , ,


Wow.  It's been almost a full month since my last recipe share with you.  If you're returning to read, thank you!  We had family visit the middle-end of June, and when my routine is thrown off (a very welcome throwing off, but still a major routine deviation), I have a hard time getting my routine back fully.  Sure, I return to work and teaching Zumba classes, but it takes a while to get back into the groove of cooking, cleaning, blogging, and anything else.  

Anyway, about this meal- I haven't shared garden pictures with you this year, but we added squash and zucchini to our garden for the first time, and they've done great!  When our family was in town, it was nice that we were able to fry so much squash for everyone to enjoy as much as they wanted.  

Decided to use the grill pan instead of the grill- just for convenience reasons

I have tried a couple recipes to use up zucchini and have enjoyed every one of them.  This particular one came from a search I did for pasta recipes that contained zucchini and ricotta.  Wouldn't you know that the very recipe was sitting in one of my old issues of Everyday Food?  I continue to return to these little gems for simple, delicious meals.  

Zucchini is grilled and chopped up, and then tossed with corn, ricotta, herbs, and pasta for a decently quick and tasty meal.  Even Drew liked it, and he's usually none too excited about pasta recipes.  It also makes a ton.  I'm pretty sure we got something like 6-8 servings out of this recipe.

Try this recipe out for a nice, light feeling summer meal!

from Everyday Food, July 2012 or marthastewart.com

Salt and pepper
3/4 pound short pasta, such as campanelle
1 3/4 cups corn kernels (from 2 ears)
1 cup ricotta
1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
3 medium zucchini
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill

Prepare zucchini:  using a sharp knife or mandolin, slice the zucchini lengthwise into long, thin slices.  Grill on outdoor grill or grill pan over med-high heat, lightly oiling the zucchini and sprinkling with salt and pepper prior to grilling.  Flip when the bottom side has nice grill marks.  Remove from heat when zucchini are softened and both sides are lightly charred.  Set aside to cool, and then chop into 1/2 inch pieces.

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta 3 minutes less than package instructions; add corn and cook until tender, 3 minutes. Reserve 1 cup pasta water, then drain.

In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup pasta water, ricotta, and Parmesan. Add pasta mixture, zucchini, basil, and dill and toss to combine. Add more pasta water if necessary to create a light sauce that coats pasta. Season with salt and pepper and top with more basil and Parmesan.

Notes

  • I used a mixture of cellentani and rigatoni pastas to use up what I had in my pantry.  Any shorter pasta will do.  
  • I had fresh basil from my garden and didn't use dill at all.  
  • I had some boiled corn left over from another meal, so instead of boiling it, I just sliced it off the cob and used it that way.  You could also use frozen corn.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment