spoon

Snickers Ice Cream Cake....AKA Enemy of Swimsuit Season, A PinterestFind

Category: , , ,


Have you ever heard that rule about clothes, that when you buy something new, something old has to go?  The idea behind is two-fold; you won't end up with so many clothes that your closet takes over your life, causing you to forget what you own, and you become more purposeful in your shopping if you know you're going to have to give up something to buy that something new.  

I try to be like that with Pinterest.  Sort of.  My rule is that I won't pin it unless I have some sort of plan or desire to make it, and I have a real, legitimate plan to make everything I pin.


Stop laughing!  I'll get there, eventually.  I saw this Snickers Ice Cream cake pin one day, and pinned it.  The original photos were so striking, and, well, Snickers and Ice Cream?!  No need to say more.  


I had the occasion to make it last week for my father-in-law's birthday dinner.  Birthdays are a big deal to me.  Everyone needs a birthday cake.  This ice cream cake is delicious, pretty, and over the top rich.  Did I mention it was also easy and can be made in just minutes, ahead of time?  Remind yourself to cut little slices.

adapted from Delish Dish/Better Homes and Gardens

2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs (I ground up non-name brand cream filled, chocolate sandwich cookies in the food processor)
1 stick butter, melted
1 quart vanilla ice cream
1 quart chocolate ice cream
1 bag mini Snickers (or maybe 5-6 full size bars), unwrapped and coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a bowl, mix together the cookie crumbs and the butter.  Spoon into a springform pan (9 inch diameter and 3 inch height) and press onto bottom and up the sides of the pan to form the crust.  Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crust is set.  Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, and freeze at least 30 minutes.

About 15 minutes prior to taking crust out of freezer, take out vanilla ice cream and allow it to soften on counter.  Remove crust from freezer, and spread softened ice cream in an even layer over crust. Sprinkle with an even layer of the Snickers, reserving a couple handfuls (1/3- 1/2 cup) for the topping.  Return to freezer and freeze at least 1 hour.

About 15 minutes prior to adding the chocolate layer, take the chocolate ice cream out of the freezer to allow it to soften.  Then remove the cake from the freezer and spread the chocolate ice cream in an even layer over the vanilla ice cream and Snickers layers, smoothing the top.  Cover and freeze at least 4 hours.

Remove the ice cream cake about 20 minutes before you want to serve it.  Just prior to serving, top with the remaining Snickers and more cookie crumbs, if you desire.  Cut with a larger knife and serve.

Notes

  • I don't have a springform pan.  I used a cheesecake pan, which also has a removable bottom.  The springform pan would likely produce neater sides, but any pan with a removable bottom and at least 3 inch sides works.
  • I don't know if the original recipe intended me to use fake Oreo crumbs, but I would not add sugar to the crust if you go with the sandwich cookie option.  Also, if you process the whole bag into crumbs, you will have more than enough for the crust, a nice little topping layer, and some left over.
  • The crust was a little greasy.  I would probably cut back on the butter next time, starting with 1 Tb. at a time.  I have not tested this, though.
  • The crust is rock hard when frozen.  You want a good knife and some elbow grease.
  • I wait until the end to top the ice cream cake with the other Snickers so that they aren't too hard.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment