spoon

Weekend Baking: Chocolate Chip Coconut Scones

Category: , , ,



If you like coconut, I hope you won't be disappointed with these scones.  Over the last couple years, I have come to love coconut and nearly any recipe that has any significant amount of coconut is one I bookmark, pin, save, whatever.  Do you ever do that, become fixated on some type of food?  A few years ago, Everyday Food had a feature with a basic scone recipe and different variations, one of which was chocolate and coconut.  I was so excited to try it, and then was a little disappointed after I tasted it.  Sorry, Martha.  The texture was good, and the taste wasn't bad, but they barely had any coconut taste at all, and I wanted tropical chocolate.



I then found another recipe on Pinterest that seemed to have all the coconutty goodness I wanted and decided to do a mashup.  Instead of the cream called for in the Everyday Food recipe, I followed the Heather's Dish suggestion of using coconut milk.  Instead of straight butter (called for in both recipes), I used a combination of butter and chilled coconut oil.  It was the right decision.   Oh, and I toasted the coconut for a more intense flavor.  



What I came up with satisfies my coconut AND chocolate cravings.  I think I have a little work to do on the texture, but overall I am pleased.  They freeze and reheat well, so you can make up a batch and save some for later.

Chocolate Chip-Coconut Scones
A Lauren original, inspired by Heather's Dish and Martha Stewart

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
3 Tb butter, cut into small cubes and chilled
3 Tb coconut oil, chilled, broken or cut into small pieces and put back in fridge to chill
3/4 cup canned coconut milk, with the chunks
3/4 cup shredded coconut, toasted
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment.  In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.  Cut the butter and coconut oil into the flour mixture (usig a pastry blender, two forks, or even your fingers) until you have a mixure that looks like coarse meal or sand, with a few larger (pea sized) pieces of fat still visible.  With a fork, stir in the coconut milk.  If it looks too dry, add more milk 1 Tb at a time.   Gently stir in the toasted coconut and chocolate chips.

Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and pat into a 6-inch circle. Cut into 6 wedges and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush tops with some of the remaining coconut milk if desired. Bake until golden, 16 to 18 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through.


Comments (0)

Post a Comment