spoon

Chicken Pot Pie

Category: ,


I am mad at myself because I forgot to type up/have a hard copy of the recipe I wanted to post today to share with you, so I'm digging through my "to be posted" folder on my computer and thought you might enjoy this one, especially if it's cold where you live.  I first saw this recipe in a 2008 issue of Kraft Food and Family magazine and thought it a nice spin on chicken pot pie.  I've made it at least once or twice (or more) each winter, and I even took it to a couple who had just had a new baby, so it makes a good food for taking to people as well. 



It's not necessarily that chicken pot pie needed updating or improving, but I didn't really know how to make it to begin with, and many times its richness and heaviness made it one of those foods you should pretty much never eat.  This is why I like this recipe; it's light enough that you don't feel bad eating it and it's a fairly quick spin on the original as well. 



The main change I make to this recipe is that I substitute an equal amount of cream cheese for the Velveeta for health and flavor reasons.  I also usually use chicken thighs in place of chicken breasts.  If you don't mind dark meat then definitely make this substitution. 



Updated Chicken Pot Pie
from Kraft Foods

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
2 Tbsp.  KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing (or just 2 Tb oil of any kind)
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans, peas)
1 can  (10-3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
1/4 lb. (4 oz.) VELVEETA Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 sheet  frozen puff pastry (1/2 of 17.3-oz. pkg.), thawed
1 egg, beaten
 
HEAT oven to 400ºF.

COOK and stir chicken in dressing in large skillet on medium heat 5 min. or until chicken is done. Stir in vegetables and soup. Spoon into 9-inch square baking dish sprayed with cooking spray; top with VELVEETA.

UNFOLD pastry sheet; place over chicken mixture. Fold under edges of pastry; press onto top of baking dish to seal. Brush with egg. Cut several slits in pastry to permit steam to escape. Place dish on baking sheet.

BAKE 30 min. or until crust is deep golden brown. Let stand 5 min. before serving.

Notes
  • It's already been mentioned, but I use cream cheese instead of Velveeta and chicken thighs in place of the breasts.
  • A word on puff pastry- it's great but you need to take it out of the freezer about 20 minutes before you start or it'll crack and break.  That's not irreparable, but it's a bit of a pain. 

Comments (0)

Post a Comment