spoon

Poor Man's Supper

Category:


Here's a post for lots of people- dieters, cost conscious, vegans/vegetarians, those who like little prep, or if you're from my church, those undergoing a Daniel fast.  Now for the educational component of the blog: Poor Man's Supper is, after looking around on the internet, a sort of category of recipes that usually have their origins in the cooking of the early 20th Century, particularly during the Great Depression.  Now it's used here in the South to indicate a meal, usually put on by churches or civic organizations, to fund raise or socialize and is comprised of beans, cornbread, and other lower cost items.  In my case, a recipe my mom used to make for us made out of beans is known to us as Poor Man's Supper.  I have no idea where she got the recipe, but it's a favorite from when I was a kid, and it's incredibly cheap, easy, and versatile, and healthy.   

The recipe utilizes canned beans, all of which I purchased for under $1 a can.  I actually cooked dried pintos for the pinto bean portion.  So, in the case of versatility, you could either use cans (the easy and quick way) or you could, for most of the beans called for, cook dried beans (still easy, but takes a little longer).  My mom's recipe instructs you to throw everything in a slow cooker and let it go, but I am sure you could make this on the stove top if you wanted. 

The beans are great when topped with a little chow-chow relish, hot sauce, and/or finely diced raw onion.  Serve with cornbread and your choice of potatoes, mac and cheese, or cooked greens, and you have a great meal. 

Poor Man's Supper
from my mom's recipe collection

1-15 oz can each:
    Pinto Beans
    Butter Beans
    Navy Beans
    Great Northern Beans
    Chili/Mexi Beans
1 large onion, sliced

Pour the contents of each can and place the sliced onion into a slow cooker.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours. 

Comments (0)

Post a Comment