spoon

Maple Glazed Salmon

Category: ,


I am excited to share this recipe with you, as it has been a favorite with Drew and me for a few years now.  When the salmon is good quality and on sale, we love to buy some and make this recipe.  One thing about salmon (or other fish) is that I like to buy the wild Alaskan salmon. The problem is usually the cost and availability of said salmon.  I can only find it in one grocery store in my area, and it's usually out of my price range.  I finally got smart last week and, catching it on sale, purchased almost four pounds, already frozen, and am now storing them in the freezer.  See, this way I can take out what I need and there's none of the thawing and refreezing business that messes up the texture.  So, there's a tip- when you see a fish you like on sale at your grocery store and you want to stock up, ask the guy behind the counter if there are any fillets still in the freezer.  They usually look a lot better and are much fresher than what's in the case.

 

So, on to this recipe.  I can't remember what made me want to try it other than Drew, but this is the recipe that turned me on to salmon, and I've probably made it at least a dozen times, which is pretty frequently for me.  The maple syrup and soy sauce come together to create a great marinade/glaze with contrasts between sweet and salty, mellow and sharp.  The garlic also rounds out the flavor.  I may add sliced green onions in the future. 

Maple Salmon
from allrecipes.com, courtesy of Starflower

1/4 cup maple syrup

2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound salmon

In a small bowl, mix the maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, garlic salt, and pepper.


Place salmon in a shallow glass baking dish, and coat with the maple syrup mixture. Cover the dish, and marinate salmon in the refrigerator 30 minutes, turning once.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Place the baking dish in the preheated oven, and bake salmon uncovered 20 minutes, or until easily flaked with a fork.


Notes
Nothing really, just an apology for the top picture- the fish doesn't look so whole and  pretty because I took off the thin part of the fillet so that it wouldn't be overdone when the thicker part of the fish was actually cooked.  For prettier pictures, click the link just above the recipe.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment