spoon

Cherry-Wheat Germ Muffins

Category:


Muffins are such a good food.  They're small and pre-portioned, simple to make, and ready to eat when you need them.  These cherry-wheat germ muffins have been around my house all week and we have enjoyed them for breakfast, second breakfast, and snacks.  Yes, I eat second breakfast.  Don't judge me. 



I saw this recipe in this month's issue of Cooking Light and thought we'd like them for the dried cherries.  The muffin itself is moist and the wheat germ lends a nice quality.  I think it's one of those flavors or qualities you'd miss if it weren't there.  I also was surprised by the allspice and the fact I liked its flavors in there.  It hides in the background, accentuating everything.  So, we like these muffins period and not just for the dried cherries. 



I made a few changes out of necessity (i.e. I had certain similar ingredients and didn't want to buy the listed ones), so I have decided that I'll post this recipe as I made it.  To see the original, follow the link below. 

Cherry-Wheat Germ Muffins
from May 2011 Cooking Light

6 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
3/4 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup raw wheat germ
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 400°.


Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (through allspice) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, oil, and egg in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.


Place 12 muffin-cup liners in muffin cups or coat muffin tin with cooking spray. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack.


Comments (0)

Post a Comment