spoon

Strawberry Cobbler

Category:


I'm sure you've had peach cobbler or blackberry cobbler, but allow me to expand your palate knowledge to strawberry cobbler.  I ran across this recipe on the blog Southern Plate and thought it sounded good, and it was.  It's a great way to use up some of those strawberries that are in season right now.  This cobbler was taken to a gathering just last night and eaten with gusto.  It's definitely safe to say it's a hit. 



One thing I like about this cobbler is that its ingredient list is simple, which allows the strawberry flavor to really shine.  I added just a dash of cinnamon- in measurements that may equate to 1/8 teaspoon, and it was a nice complement to the batter and strawberries.  It's also easy- you could assemble it in about 5 minutes, provided that you have pre-sugared your strawberries.  I am not sure that slicing and sugaring them is absolutely necessary, but it sure helps bring out the flavor of ripe berries. 

Make this now!  I'm not trying to be bossy, but you will not regret it!

Strawberry Cobbler
from southernplate.com

1 cup self rising flour*
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
2 cups sweetened strawberries
1 stick (4 oz/8 Tb) butter or margarine

Preheat your oven to 400.  In a 2 or 2.5 quart baking dish, place the stick of butter and put it in the oven to allow the butter to melt while the oven preheats. 

In the meantime, mix all your dry ingredients together.  Stir in the milk until smooth.  Pour over the melted margarine.  Don't mix in or stir!  Pour the strawberries into the center of the batter, again not stirring. 

Bake for 30-40 minutes or until you can insert a knife into the center of the cobbler and it looks cakey rather than soupy. 

Notes
  • To make your own self rising flour, simply add 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt for EACH cup of all purpose flour.
  • I posted the recipe mostly as I made it, except for the cinnamon.  I used about half or less of the optional amount.  For any variations or additions, visit the links in the post to be taken to Christy Jordan's post on this recipe. 
  • It wasn't entirely clear on the post, but if you read Christy's mom's post before the recipe, you'll notice that she does cut and sweeten her berries.  Glad that worked out!
  • My center stayed a bit soupy while the outside got too brown.  Once it cooled, however, everything was fine.  I also covered my cobbler the last 10 minutes of baking so that the top wouldn't brown further or burn. 

Comment (1)

The PERFECT cobbler recipe every time. This is how my grandma and my great grandma made their cobblers.

Week before last I made one like this, but with peaches and blackberries...IT WAS SOOOOOOOO GOOD!

Post a Comment