spoon

Salt 'n' Vinegar Roasted Potatoes

Category:


I have this thing where I don't like to look at a magazine until the month starts, so last week when I opened my May Everyday Food (EDF), it was the first time I saw the spread on updating some classics or basics, which included today's recipe.  Coincidentally enough, the very next day, Mary from One Perfect Bite posted this recipe featuring a similar technique.  I was intrigued and I wanted to try these immediately.  I made them with the brisket, and since I knew at least one person was coming who didn't like vinegar, some were the full recipe and others were just smooshed and roasted, and both have their virtues. 

The salt and vinegar roasted potatoes are perfect for those who love salt and vinegar chips or fish and chips with malt vinegar.  They're a wake up for your taste buds.  The plain ones are for people who love roasted potatoes AND crispy skins.  It's a great balance. 



These potatoes take a while, but can be done over two days or in stages, which is what we did.  They're also simple and feature few ingredients, which I love about the EDF recipes.  They are, however, well worth it, and as with a lot of the recipes I post, the time is not labor intensive, but inactive cooking time.  This is definitely a recipe going into my file as a keeper. 

Salt 'n' Vinegar Roasted Potatoes
from Everyday Food, May 2011 (Issue 82)

1 1/2 lb small round or fingerling potatoes
coarse salt
2 Tb extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup malt vinegar

In a medium pot, bring the potatoes to a boil over high in salted water.  Reduce the heat and cook at a rapid simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 20 minutes; drain.  Place a folded dish towel on a work surface and place a potato inside.  Gently smash the potato so that it is flattened but still in one piece.  Repeat with remaining potatoes.

Preheat the oven to 450.  Brush a rimmed baking sheet with 1 Tb oil.  Place the potatoes on the sheet and brush the tops with 1 Tb oil.  Bake until crisp and golden, 35 minutes, flipping them about halfway through.  Remove from the oven and toss with vinegar and salt. 

Notes
Just one- take care when smashing the potatoes.  Drew took care of this step while I was coming home from teaching a Zumba class and they WILL fall apart if you aren't careful. 

Comments (0)

Post a Comment