spoon

DIY- Microwave Popcorn

Category: ,



Are you ready to have your world rocked?  You can make popcorn in the microwave, and it doesn't have to come from Act II or Orville!  Make your own for just pennies a bag, and it's all natural!  Since my first attempt a couple weeks ago, I've made it several times with some pretty exciting success. 



What I've learned:
1.  Unless you like plain (i.e. no butter, salt, additional flavorings) popcorn, you will want to spray or drizzle some oil on your popcorn.  I had an old spray bottle of white truffle oil that I use but really anything will do.  I bet a misto would work great here.

2.  This is super easy and I don't plan to return to the old way of buying the bags in the store filled with something made in a food science lab.



Microwave Popcorn
Makes 1 generous or 2 smaller servings

1 lunch sized brown paper bag
1/4 cup popcorn kernels
Oil or butter
Salt or other flavorings

Pour kernels into bag.  Fold bag over at least twice, creasing well after each fold.  Pop in microwave, 2-3 minutes or until a few seconds elapse between pops.  Spray or drizzle oil or butter over popcorn and sprinkle salt/other flavoring over.  Stir or shake to combine well. 

Notes
  • I have seen online where people popped the popcorn in a microwave safe bowl with a cover, and added the oil or butter right in.  I haven't tried this because I've always made it at work, where I do not have access to a bowl. 
  • A Misto spray bottle or even a storebought bottle filled with oil would work well here- just don't put melted butter into a spray bottle. 
  • I use the spray oil I mentioned and popcorn salt (extra fine), but get creative- try herbs, parmesan cheese, pepper, lime, etc. 
Enjoy!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment