spoon

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup- Pinterest Find

Category: , , ,



Are you on Pinterest yet?  It's fascinating how this particular social media site has influenced the food people make, the DIY's people attempt, and the party ideas people use.  As if I didn't have enough sources for new recipes, I have pinned over 80 recipes to my own food board.  I pinned this one a while back- the pictures from the original post were so enticing! 



The verdict?  This meal is far from healthy- it's a little decadent, with no small amount of butter and half and half.  I did try to decrease the fattiness by decreasing the butter and the half and half measurements.  I think I could have taken it even further.  It's tasty.  It's a good, solid recipe.  There were three of us who ate it that day, and we all enjoyed it.  It takes a bit of effort.  Maybe more effort than I want to put into tomato soup.  It won't be my go steady recipe, but it's certainly worth another shot.  I made the crock pot version because I thought it'd be faster on the back end.  It wasn't really, and you miss the browned bits flavoring the soup further from when you saute the onion and celery, so I don't recommend the crock version. 



So, it's worth a try, if you're not dairy free or dieting.  Or if you don't mind a few steps in making a soup.  The link below takes you to the site that posts both the slow cooker and stovetop versions, so you can see both.  I'm posting the a modification of the slow cooker, because I finished it on the stove top.



Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
from this site

Makes about 2 quarts (about 8 servings)
2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced carrots
1 cup finely diced onions
1 tsp dried oregano or 1 T fresh oregano
1 T dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil
4 cups chicken broth
½ bay leaf
½ cup flour
1 cup Parmesan cheese
½ cup butter
2 cups half and half, warmed (or skim milk if you’re trying to cut some calories)
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper

1. Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, oregano, basil, and bay leaf to a large slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.
3. About 30 minutes before serving prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth. ***Add all into a medium to large pot. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper. Add additional basil and oregano if needed and simmer over medium heat, about 15-30 minutes, until soup is consistency and taste that suits you. 


Notes

  • The *** in the directions is where I deviated from the slow cooker recipe.  Click link to see original recipe.
  • After following the directions up to the point of deviation, the soup was a bit watery and bland.  I added some more salt- season to your taste and let it reduce on the stovetop through light boiling, which thickened the soup and concentrated the flavor.
  • I used dried basil, and I won't do it again.  It was flaky and not flavorful.  I recommend fresh, frozen, or even stirring in some pesto for the basil flavor. 

Comments (0)

Post a Comment