spoon

Chickpea Stew with Pesto

Category: , ,

After going back and forth, I have decided to post this with my thumbs mostly up.  I sometimes struggle with what to share with you, because I don't want to get a reputation for being a stamp tramp. 

So this one was just OK- maybe it was me, or maybe it was just the recipe.  One thing- it does get better as it sits, so making it a day or two ahead is not a bad idea, and it is healthy and economical.  For those reasons, it's not a bad idea to give it a try if you're adventurous or a chickpea fan.  Just make sure you taste as you go, and don't oversalt- but it took quite a bit of salt for me to get it not too bland.  I didn't have a lot of pesto, so maybe with lots of pesto blended in is where it truly shines and I only let it have a dull glow.  Who knows?




This recipe comes from the September 2012 issue of Everyday Food, which I am sad to say will not be in print any longer. 

Hearty Chickpea Stew With Pesto
from Everyday Food

 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
5 sprigs oregano
3 tablespoons tomato paste
6 cups vegetable broth
2 cans (15.5 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 thick slices stale rustic bread, crusts removed, torn into small pieces
1/4 cup basil pesto, for serving
 
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and celery, season with salt and pepper, and cook until golden, 10 minutes. Add oregano and tomato paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until onion is tender, 5 minutes. Add chickpeas and bread and simmer until thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve topped with pesto.
 
 
Notes
 
I didn't do this, but in hindsight, I'd maybe add more tomato paste. 
 
Make sure you simmer that stew after you put in the bread!  It takes time to get it to thicken.
 
Cut the onion into half slices or something- the full slivers were a bit too much for a spoon.
 
 

Comments (0)

Post a Comment