spoon

Roasted Salmon with Kale and Cabbage

Category: ,



I'm going to start off telling you a little bit of a tragic story, but only a little.  Drew and I decided to celebrate Valentine's Day at home with a nice dinner.  Well, a good portion of that week, Drew had been sick, but by Thursday, he seemed to start improving.  Saturday, Feb 15th came (the day we had planned to celebrate because he was working the actual day), and he felt worse.  I had already defrosted some salmon in order to make a recipe I had seen online, but it involved butter and some other things that you probably shouldn't eat if you're sick, so I changed it to this recipe.  Then I got sick with the flu that very night.  I told Drew that normal men get their sweethearts flowers or chocolate, NOT the flu.  He has so much to learn.  



So, while our Valentine's dinner didn't turn out like we had planned, we did try a new salmon recipe, and it. is. GOOD.  It's a lighter dish, with the salmon being roasted over kale and savoy cabbage and everything getting a light drizzle of homemade vinaigrette.  The kale takes on a deeper, more complex flavor from the roasting, and the cabbage mellows and almost sweetens.  The salmon came out really well- maybe the best I've ever done. Not dried out, and not underdone. Despite my best attempts, I tend to overcook the thinner parts, and sometimes the whole thing.  Sigh.  Even though everything is roasted, it all tastes fresh and pleasant.  It also comes together in 20 minutes.  This is one of those recipes that seem too good to be true- quick, affordable, easy, and incredibly tasty, with little cleanup.  Bliss!

The best way I've found to remove the core from a head of cabbage- cut it out in a triangle shape.


from Everyday Food/Martha Stewart
serves 4

1 bunch kale, leaves rinsed and stems removed, rough chopped (about 5 cups)
1 small head (or 1/2 large head) savoy cabbage, core removed and sliced (about 4 cups)
6 Tb olive oil, divided
1 lb salmon, cut into 4 fillets
1 tsp lemon zest
2 Tb lemon juice
1 Tb dried dill, or 1/4 cup fresh
1 tsp. dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss kale and cabbage with 2 tablespoons oil and spread in an even layer; season with salt and pepper and bake 6 minutes. Stir. Season salmon and add to baking sheet. Bake until salmon is cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together lemon zest and juice, dill, mustard, and remaining 1/4 cup oil. Season. Drizzle salmon and vegetables with dressing before serving.

Notes
  • The original recipe calls for Tuscan kale, aka lacinato or black kale.  Our local supermarket doesn't carry that, so I used regular kale.  While I am sure the effect is a little different, taste was still great, and I likely saved money vs. Tuscan kale (if I'd had the choice). 
  • This does not reheat well, so I'd recommend only making what you need for that night.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment