spoon

Chocolate Chip Pie; A Story of Success, Shame, and Woe

Category: , , , ,


If you've never known such drama associated with a pie, you probably have more of a life than I do.  Yesterday was the Harvest Celebration at my church, which is a potluck dinner in which we celebrate God's blessings through the year and we also kick off our revival.  I always think potlucks are a good time to try out new recipes, because you automatically have taste-testers, and if a dish turns out to be a flop, it doesn't ruin your meal because there's a whole slew of other dishes to be had.



After looking through different cookbooks, magazines, and my Pinterest dessert board, I decided to make this pie, because I had almost everything on hand that I needed to make it and it looked really easy.  Plus, the name sounds like it would be a pretty safe bet.



Let me tell you, it was a solid success.  It tastes like a slightly under baked chocolate chip cookie, thick, gooey, and just wonderful.  I was so glad to have a new and proven success on my hands.  

I ended up having just a little over half the pie left over, and this is where the tale of woe and shame starts.  I baked my pie in my glass pie dish, and the dish slipped off the stack of dishes I was carrying and fell on the sidewalk, shattering the dish and landing the pie right side up.  Woe.  Woe.  

Now for the shameful part: I tried to salvage the pie.  I actually thought for a minute, "surely I can just pick the pie up and put it on a plate, right?"  WRONG.  Glass had shattered all through that pie, so I had to throw the whole thing away.  I didn't cry, but I'm still shaking my head.  I'm just keeping it real.

Either way, this pie is a great little dessert- think skillet cookie with a pie crust.  YUM!

Chocolate Chip Pie
From Just Desserts by Paula Deen

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell

Preheat  your oven to 325.  In a medium bowl, mix together flour and sugar.  Add all other ingredients, stirring until moistened.  Pour into an unbaked pie shell and bake 45-60 minutes, until set.  The top will also be lightly browned.

Serve with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.

Notes

  • I used mini chocolate chips, because I liked the idea of smaller chips of chocolate scattered throughout.
  • If you use a glass dish like I did, it's best to reduce the heat of the oven by 25 degrees Fahrenheit and extend the time a little, which allows for a better browning of the crust while not burning everything else.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment