spoon

Peach Crumble Pie

Category: ,


I suppose I need to apologize before even starting this post because I have made something like 3 recipes lately without taking a picture of the final dish- I apologize for my absent mindedness! 



The good news is that the people at marthastewart.com have a much prettier picture of the pie than I could ever take, so I'll let you visit their page to view it. 



This pie is, admittedly, not the best peach pie I've ever tasted, but it is the only peach pie I've ever made.  The pie is good- don't get me wrong.  I think, though, that the streusel crust was a bit too buttery.  I am no Paula Deen.  I also didn't make my crust.  I took the cheater's way out and bought a crust.  Sorry, Martha.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I didn't follow all the rules, so I encourage you to make it as a departure from the normal double crusted peach pie.  The pie easily and quickly comes together and is beautiful when baked.  DO NOT skip the step about placing a baking sheet under your pie plate.  I'd even recommend lining that sheet with foil.



Peach Crumble Pie
from Everyday Food, July/Aug 2011 issue

1 pie crust (visit link above for the recipe included with the pie)

For the pie filling:
3 lb peaches, washed, pitted, and cut into 1/2 inch slices (about 8 cups)
2 Tb. light brown sugar
2 Tb. all purpose flour

For the crumble:
1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly flour a rolling pin and work surface and roll out dough to a 12-inch round. Place in a 9-inch pie plate, fold overhang under, and crimp edges. Make filling: In a large bowl, toss together peaches, brown sugar, and flour until combined. Make crumble: In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, and oats; using your hands, work in butter until large clumps form.

Transfer peach filling to pie shell, then sprinkle crumble evenly over top. Place pie on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until juices are bubbling and topping is golden, 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 1 1/2 hours before serving.



    Comments (0)

    Post a Comment