spoon

Tomato-Peach Salsa

Category: , , ,



Peach salsa is nostalgic for me.  It's a food that reminds me of family.  I can remember the first time I tried peach salsa, but I cannot remember how old I was.  I was at my grandmother's, and she had bought a jar somewhere and the whole family tried it, curious but with some trepidation.  To us, salsa was tomato based, and contained a jalapeño at the most, in terms of creative ingredients.  To our delight, the peach salsa was like opening a new world.  It wasn't syrupy sweet; it had a slight sweetness that balanced out the spice.  It was a unique flavor but  not so strange that you didn't want to finish off the whole jar, which I believe we did.  After that first time, the peach salsa found its way to our family get togethers for several years. 

I am subscribed to three food based magazines, and I try to utilize recipes from each one, lest they become relics I keep around to later smell musty when I'm old.  I found this recipe for salmon with this tomato-peach salsa, and in one recipe used it for both steak and fish.  I had intended it for fish all along, but the first time didn't so much work out, so the steak had to sit in. 

The salsa did justice to both the steak and the fish, but I definitely recommend making it with fish.  There's just something about the lightness of the whole meal that works with fish.  This salsa is also great with tortilla chips, just as a snack. 

Tomato Peach Salsa
from July 2011 Cooking Light

1 cup chopped peeled peach
3/4 cup quartered cherry tomatoes (or 1 medium tomato, diced)
1/4 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
3 tablespoons small fresh mint leaves
3 tablespoons small fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided

Combine all ingredients in a bowl; add jalapeño, if desired. Toss gently to combine. 

 

Comments (0)

Post a Comment